9.21.2007

Update! Hero Surfer Dog Rescue Reunion!


I knew there would be an update so I went looking and so glad they all got together! Wonderful people are in the world, to help someone with no reason other than you saw an innocent dog in danger and helped him, makes the world seem brighter.

Original post about this surfer hero here.
Surfer Rescues Dog
Read here where both surfers were honored:
Surfers Honored

Dog rescued by surfers meets the heroes

Grand Haven, Mich. - The owner of the dog that was rescued from Lake Michigan by a surfer got to meet the man who saved his pet.

Jack Badgero says he is extremely grateful to the man who saved his best friend. Badgero's dog named “Shell-B” had to be rescued after she fell off the Grand Haven pier. Fortunately, Matt Smolenski was surfing with his friend nearby when it happened.

It all started Tuesday afternoon. Badgero says Shell-B loves the water. “She loves to go after the waves when they break over the wall...she'll sit there and snap at em", says Badgero.

That day, the waves were big. Badgero, who lost his leg in the Vietnam War and now has an artificial leg, says he tried to grab her. "My last reaction was I was going to kick that (leg) off, throw it on top of the pier and in the water I would go."

Badgero didn't have to. Smolenski heard him yelling for help. He says, "First thing I heard was, when you were screaming and I saw the dog. I was like, wow. I got to get over there."

Smolenski and his friend put Shell-B on a surf board. They could tell she was tired. Smolenski says, "When I got to her, she was starting to go down."

The surfers made it back to shore, with the dog in tow and she was reunited with her owner. Smolenski says he recognized both Shell-B and Badgero. They are out at the pier nearly every day. Smolenski says he knows how important Shell-B is to his owner.

"You know she's the pride and joy of my life”, says Badgero. “I know, that's why I wasn't coming in without her”, says Smolenski.

Badgero says he has a lot to be thankful for. He still has his best friend.

Shell-B is a 10 year old beagle/rottweiler mix. From now on, Badgero says he will be more careful with her when the waves are high on Lake Michigan.
Read the update here:
Dog rescued by surfers meets the heroes


0 comments: